THE HISTORY OF WATERTOWN COUNTRY CLUB
Watertown Country Club was born when eighty-two people signed its articles at the first meeting June 3, 1922. The president was local attorney, William H. Woodard. Over fifty acres of farmland north of the city were purchased from Gustavus Austin. The property included a house, barn, and shed. Electricity, a telephone, and furnishings were installed in the farmhouse, which became the clubhouse. The barn housed the course maintenance equipment. Silver Creek meanders through the course and can come into play on more than half of the holes. Small greens with slight nuances prove to be challenging. The entire farmland was plowed and earth moved to create the course. A watering system for the greens was installed in 1923 when the course opened for play on the front nine. A full-time green-keeper, John Stiemke, was employed in the 1930's. By 1941 the 100 member roster was full. Construction of the back nine, designed by Larry Packard, began in 1959, and the long time dream of an 18 hole course became reality and opened in 1961 on a 70 acre site that had been owned by Edwin Hinze. A new clubhouse was approved in 1949 and opened the following spring. The clubhouse was further expanded in 1955,1966, 1980-81, and in 1994. During the next several years a full sprinkler system was installed over the entire course. This was up-dated to a double sprinkler system in 1998.
Several major changes have been made to the course over the years. The #1 tee is in its third location. Three towering trees in the middle of #5 fairway were removed as was a huge tree in the middle of #6 fairway. The original #9 was very short and was lengthened later. The shape of the replacement green and its traps are now in the third configuration. The course of the creek along #10 fairway was changed to widen the fairway and make it more level.
Starting in the fall of 2013 and completed in the spring of 2014, the course underwent a complete bunker renovation. Work also included the addition of chipping/run-off areas around many of the greens. Continous cart path was also added to the front nine holes. Finally nine new tee boxes were added (8 forward, 1 back) throughout the course.
The Watertown Country Club has had full time green-keepers for over fifty years: Stiemke, Walter Kaddatz, George Wuestenberg, Joe Bahr, Ron Grunewald, Mike Upthegrove, and currently Oscar Peterson.
The club provides members and their families with quality golf and fine dining. Because golf is the major focus of the club, numerous golf events are planned for men, women, couples, and juniors. The clubhouse offers a lunch and dinner menu for members and their guests, and banquet services for weddings, anniversaries, special family celebrations and other member sponsored meetings or corporate events.